Sunday, June 1, 2008


WALKING OUT THE CALLING
Greetings! I want to introduce my family to you. I am Mike, the husband of Lisa (far right) and the father of Emily, Jennifer, and Amanda (between mom and dad). All three of our girls are married and have children themselves, blessing Lisa and I with seven grandchildren. I am also the pastor (sheepdog) of the most wonderful and free people on the planet, The Church at Tatesbrook. This is my first time sharing on the blog, so bear with me.

I want to encourage you concerning your calling. Please set aside your preconceived notions about church and its structure. I have pastored for over thirty years, and one thing I have learned is, " I DON'T TELL STRANGERS THAT I AM A PASTOR!" I am not ashamed of my specific calling, but I know that today's church has established a pecking order within its ranks that is unbiblical and confusing. So, for this writing, I want you to lay aside your knowledge of "church" and let Holy Spirit bless you with His encouragement.

When you received Jesus into your life as Savior and Lord, a marvelous transition took place. Actually it was a creation that took place. You became a part of a brand new species called the children of God. That is why the word states that you are a "joint-heir" with Jesus. He is your elder brother. As He entered your life, he birthed His Spirit in your dead spirit and you become one with Him. It was an eternal act that cannot be undone. No one can separate you from such a love (Romans 8). Not only did He save you from sin, but He also saved you from the law, yourself, the world, and Satan. You are free as free can be! Now you can sit in the clouds, flap your angel wings and play your harp on the front porch of your pimped out mansion for eternity!!!! Sounds kind of boring doesn't it? Well, that is not how it goes except in the minds of American Christians who believe that the primary reason they are saved is to go to heaven and miss hell.

You have been set free for the purpose of knowing the Father as the Son knows the Father. You have been called to know Him intimately. Sounds boring? scary? impossible? Not if you understand the purpose of this calling. Let me give you an earthly example of how your calling is to be lived out. The one person on this earth that I know better than anyone else is my wife Lisa. The reason I know her or want to know her is because she is my wife. I am "called" her husband. She is "called" my wife. We chose each other, because we desired to know each other. When I first met her, I had known about her because she was the sister of one of my high school buddies. (at the time Lisa was 10 years old and playing with dolls) Later, when we began to date, I fell for her. I courted her and not long after that we were at the altar getting married. I had seen her with my eyes, but now I began to see her with my heart. I became committed to her by a vow that we made to each other and to the Father to become husband and wife. We became one with each other, and our love and admiration for each other has grown over the 32 years we have been married. We know each other! My calling as her husband is developed and fulfilled by me resting in the love that I have for her and she has for me. I would not think twice to lay my life down for her, nor her for me. I rest in the fact that I am her priest, provider and protector. It comes natural. I work, and I return to her. I have a place with her. We discuss our lives, our hopes, our dreams. We are in agreement on those things that our pertinent to our existence as husband and wife. We will remain that way until death parts us. That is our calling as a husband and wife.

Now, how about our calling as a believer. Same principle as above. (God actually gave us marriage so we could understand His heart and desire for us and ours for Him) You knew about Him, but one day you fell for Him. You saw Jesus with your heart and knew that you needed Him. He is called your husband, and He has chosen you and called you His bride. Your calling from Him is not based upon your performance of duty of good deeds, but is is based upon you resting in the love He has for you and you have for Him. Your calling? Don't make it an "it" but live it through "Him".

If we all will see Him as He is, love Him as He desires to be loved, then our purpose in life will produce His fullness through our body.



No comments: